Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Back Home Again in Assisi...

Il 29 aprile
Assisi

As soon as my train arrived at the Assisi station Thursday evening, I felt, in a sense, that I was “back home.” I have been trying to understand my love for this city and why I feel the way I do when I'm here. It is, certainly, a very inviting and charming place and I stay in a terrific apartment. So, yes, I am surrounded by beauty and I have my “creature comforts.” Perhaps because it is a very small city, enclosed by walls and lived in by people who are very proud to call themselves “Assisani”, there is a certain ambiance here and a pride exhibited by its hardworking citizens. For me, it has become a familiar place-the two markets I frequent, the hairdresser who colors and cuts my hair, the boutiques where my euros always find something to buy; Assisi has become my “safe haven”- a place I come to for study and reflection and, more and more, an opportunity to spend time with my Italian friends who have become an important part of my life as I know it now.

Although I have been here for only 3 days, I have spent time with friends, eaten more wonderful food, drunk more wine (And I really am not a big drinker, even though I seem to talk about it a lot!) and socialized more than when I'm home in San Diego. Now this will even out a bit as the “novelty” of my being here wears off and I get back to my routine of school, homework, studying, cooking my dinner, watching my Italian soap operas, and going to sleep at a reasonable hour, but, for now, I am relishing the excitement of being in Assisi once again. Each day is an adventure; each day brings something unexpected, and with each day, my Italian gets just a bit better. I love this language; I love hearing it, understanding it, and speaking it and with the support I receive, I am encouraged to keep on, even though it is difficult and sometimes very frustrating.


What has also made Assisi so special for me are the friendships I have here and the people I seem to meet almost daily and without planning. Perhaps because I am trying to “seize every moment” and live each day to the fullest, I feel a vibrancy and intensity here that I don't feel at home, even though my core beliefs about how I want to live my life remain the same wherever I am.


The medieval festival of Calendimaggio starts this coming Thursday, May 3rd, and when the opening festivities begin at 3:00 pm, the stands will be full of people shouting “Sotto” and “Sopra”, for the lower and upper parts of the city that are in competition for three days. As I live in “Sotto”, I will wave the red flag and shout and clap for my “team” and hope that we win, unlike last year when Sopra was victorious. There is a air of expectation in the city and one can hear the pounding of hammers as each team builds its floats and scenery in secret. The month of May is a wonderful time to be in Assisi and explore Umbria. This year, it rained almost the entire month of April so everything is green and the flowers are blooming all over the city.


And as it's almost 8:00 pm, I must go now and meet my friend, Janet for a walk to the Piazza Commune and a gelato. The big decision will be which flavor to enjoy tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment