Monday, May 7, 2012

And The Winner Is...


Il 6 maggio
Assisi

It is about 9:00 am; my voice is hoarse, my throat is sore...and I just received a text message from Janet letting me know that Sopra won this year's Calendimaggio. Although my allegiance was with Sotto, not being an Assisani, I am not as “serious” about the competition as the locals...and I have friends living in Sopra who are very happy this morning...so it's all good. Yesterday afternoon was “La sfida” (The Challenge) and each side presented “extravagant” performances, trying to outdo one another. The spectacular nature of these plays can only be truly appreciated if one sees them live as their pageantry, scenery and props, originality of story, music, song, and dance plus the sheer number of performers is simply something to behold.

As there was yet a final competition last night, a group of us went to Janet's house for dinner and wine and lots of conviviality before the 9:30 pm conclusion. The longer I am in Assisi, the more fascinating people I am introduced to and the more “coincidences” I experience. Meeting Ingrid last night, a writer and long-time resident of Assisi, whose best friend is a woman I met in an Italian class in San Diego two years ago, was just one of those “Aha moments.” (And the list goes on...)

We arrived back in the Piazza shortly before 9:30, but, as this is Italy, nothing started until 10:30...which was fine because it gave me a chance to visit with Mauro, a taxi driver here who took me to the station last December, and has become a delightful friend. The evening performances have fire eaters, people in medieval costumes walking on stilts, and lots of torches and flames....quite extraordinary....and only in Assisi.





1 comment: