Saturday, May 19, 2012

Il Giro d'Italia - Always Another Hill to Climb...


Il 15 maggio
Assisi

Assisi is one of those places where, at certain times of the year, the weather can “change on a dime.” I have often woken up to bright sunshine (che bella giornata!), only to experience a marked drop in temperature, brisk wind, and rain all in the span of a few hours (che tempo brutto!) The only way to be prepared for this is to dress in layers, always wear a scarf (I like to leave the house with two-one for style and another one for warmth), and have a portable umbrella in your handbag. This past week has run the gamut so I have had to be flexible with my plans. Actually, I've learned that in Italy “flexibility” is a must; so much of what happens is “dipende!” (that depends!) and, for me, life here is different every time.

Although I've been busy with school, I'm spending a lot of time with friends-old and new, having “mini” adventures everyday, and, more and more, eating out in local restaurants. I've decided that I can show off my Italian cooking skills when I get home; when in Italia, why not enjoy what the local eateries have to offer and practice my Italian at the same time. Eating has always been a “high point” for me so Italy is a rather perfect place to be.

Today in Assisi was all about il Giro d'Italia (Italy's answer to the Tour de France.) This bicycle race is a very big deal for the country and, as a small part of one of the stages was a ride through town, the streets were decked out in pink balloons, packed with vans for TV personnel and equipment, full of lots of vendors selling souvenirs to commemorate the day, and loaded with tourists and locals mingling together to cheer on the cyclists and get a look at them as they crossed the finish line. Many of the streets were blocked off and, because I had “il pranzo” out and didn't go home for lunch, by the time I tried to get back to my apartment to get my camera, it turned out to be impossible. So I just “squeezed in” the crowd and, actually, had a quick glance at the cyclist who won the stage. (Cycling up the steep Via Portica and into the Piazza del Commune is no easy feat!) Since the streets are narrow, one could almost touch the riders as they passed by, preceded by cars with officials, emergency vehicles, lots of honking horns...it was very much a 21st century day in this 12th century town.




No comments:

Post a Comment