Friday, April 27, 2012

Ciao Barcelona...

Il 26 aprile
Barcelona

It's early in the morning at this very quiet and calm Barcelona Airport; just had a Croissant Paris and a Cafe Con Leche, the best breakfast I've had in weeks. It's not that the food at the hotels or on board the boat were not good; on the contrary, the sumptuous buffets were filled with everything you could imagine. It's just that the perfect breakfast for me is strong European coffee with hot milk and a warm flaky pastry...which is why I do well living in Italy. Except for, perhaps, eating dinner a bit later than I would normally, the eating style of the Italians meshes well with mine.

My last day in Barcelona yesterday could not have been better. Beginning with a walk through the market place, possibly the best I've ever seen. Whether produce, meat, poultry, fish, breads and pastries, or snacks, the food was clean, fresh, and displayed with “military precision.” It must take hours just for the set-up and I hope that my pictures rightfully captured some of it.

Leaving the market, I wandered through the “Gothic Area” of Barcelona; this oldest part of the city with its narrow streets and alleyways hearkens back to a time long ago when fast cars and processed foods could not have been imagined. Yes, I did see Starbucks, McDonald's, and KFC on the wide tree-lined boulevards of the city, but I just turned the other way.

Time for lunch and I found myself at the same tapas bar I had eaten at the day before. Yesterday's meal was a slice of prosciutto on a crunchy roll and a small bottle of Cava (Spanish sparkling white wine.) Enjoying my meal, who should I meet but Steve and Marcia from Portland who, along with a couple of friends, had just gotten off the Holland America and were in town for three days. I told them about some of the things I had done, although they had been here before and probably knew the city better than I did. This is one of the reasons why I love to travel; you never know where you'll be when you find yourself in a conversation with someone you never would have met otherwise.

After lunch I walked some more and then just had to have a coffee ice cream cone at Farggi; creamy and rich, it was an ice cream lover's taste of paradise. Decided to try the metro which was an easy way to get back to the neighborhood near the hotel and then it was time to finish packing, try out the hotel swimming pool, and get ready for the group's farewell dinner. The food and wine were lovely (crème brulee for dessert) and then it was a lot of good-byes and wishing my travel companions a safe trip home.

As for me....tonight I'll be sleeping in my “own” bed in Assisi in the charming apartment I rent when I'm there. I can fully unpack, and then tomorrow, I'll do a couple of loads of laundry and go to the mercato. Life is good...


TAPAS & BEER
Gran Via Corts Catalanes, 640
08007 Barcelona

No comments:

Post a Comment