Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Delights of Portugal...

Il 17 aprile
Portogallo...

I've been in Portugal for a week and have not yet shared anything about this delightful country; not for lack of interest because I am enjoying every moment of my stay here, but because each day has been busy with another adventure and I've had little time to put this experience into written form. I'm in my cabin now cruising through the extraordinary Douro River Valley with its majestic terraced countryside of vineyards and olive trees. We have just arrived at the Pocinho Dam and the boat is rising up through the locks; the passageway is narrow and it feels like it is just wide enough for our vessel to fit through. I have had to turn the light on as the cabin is dark and the many meters of a stone wall have blocked out most of the daylight.

I arrived in Lisbon (Lisboa) last Wednesday morning and enjoyed my stay in this cosmopolitan capital, but it was Oporto (Porto) that captured my imagination. Everywhere one looks in this city of hills, there is something to catch the eye; the architecture is eclectic and it seemed as though each street had something a bit different to offer. There's a wonderful bookstore in town and even though it was closed on the Sunday we were there, I was able to peek inside and see the carved, wooden circular staircase that J.K. Rowling used in the Harry Potter books...and I could feel the magic.
I'm spending a week on the MS Douro Cruiser. This river boat lacks for nothing; the staff is genuinely caring and gracious and the wine flows at dinner. I was never much of a Port drinker, but several lectures and many tastings have changed that...whether tawny or ruby, it's a lovely way to begin or end a meal.

The other evening we had dinner at what used to be a 14th century monastery and last night, there was a delightful folk music presentation, complete with Fado, the traditional mournful music of Portugal when one sings of lost love or chances missed...alas.sss
This morning we visited the village of Lamego with its Gothic Cathedral and narrow winding streets. Of course, there was a stop at a local cafe for an espresso and the purchase of gourmet chocolate... and tonight is the Captain's Dinner. Eating well and loving every minute!




No comments:

Post a Comment