Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Warmth of the Portuguese...

Il 19 aprile
Castelo Rodrigo

The medieval town of Figueria Castelo Rodrigo (current population of 65) was this morning's destination. After another drive through the mountains, with lots of olive and almond trees on the terraced hillside slopes, we arrived at this charming spot of cobble-stoned streets and stone houses. We stopped to see the church and the ruins of the castle and walked a bit, although the wind was fierce and very cold. What a perfect reason to go into a small shop and buy a thick sweater, made by the owner herself. Although she spoke only Portuguese (I have learned a few words), it was easy enough to communicate the size I needed and which sweater I wanted to try on. After that stop, I met some others in the group who were all buying sugar-coated almonds (locally made and delicious), plus dried fruit, olive oil, honey, and soap. The almonds and soap are perfect for gift giving and the owner of the store took great pride in wrapping the purchases.

Lunch on board was a buffet (yes, my clothes are getting snug) and I sat with some people I hadn't yet met. One of my great joys in traveling is the human connection and I have learned firsthand that everyone has a story to tell. Today it was Grazia, a delightful woman of European origin who is fluent in Italian and French, with whom I had a lovely conversation in italiano. It was truly “con piacere” (with pleasure) that we shared time together and I look forward to continuing our dialogue.

Dinner this evening was in the rustic town of Pinhao at the Avessada Winery, family-owned for six generations, and a terrific place to dine and enjoy the gracious hospitality of the Portugeuse. There was music and dancing, comraderie, and, of course, wine-tasting. We were 600 meters high in the mountains and, once again, our bus driver demonstrated remarkable skill in navigating very windy and narrow roads. Back on the ship now and it's after midnight. Time for my chocolate mint and some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment