Wednesday, November 30, 2011

When One Door Closes...

Il 30 novembre
Assisi

The suitcases are packed, the food is gone, the apartment is clean; I sense the nearness of my departure...feels almost like being in “no man's land”... I'm still living "in Italian", but have already started thinking about next week in San Diego and what I will do and the people I will see...and I smile.

It has often been said that when one door closes, another one opens up, and how true that has been for me. When I think about it, though, the door doesn't really close because you never leave the past behind; it's always a part of you-the joys and the sorrows, the achievements and the disappointments...it's what you do with it as you enter that new door that will help you to grow...or not. I physically closed the door to my condo on September 14th and, after 18 very special days in Israel, I opened the door to my Assisi apartment and another adventure, but I brought with me all the memories that continue to shape who I am today.

I am ready to fly home on Sunday and, if truth be told, I am looking forward to it. The door to this phase is closing, but not really; I will take with me everything I've learned from others and about myself. I have caring new friends, I have new accomplishments, I have new memories...I didn't have any of those before I left. This is one of the reasons that travel is my greatest passion; every trip opens new doors; every trip adds to who I am and who I am becoming. We all have the same final destination in life...the journey is how we get there.


      

                

No comments:

Post a Comment