Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Sunny Day in Barcelona Is Not a Guarantee...

Il 24 aprile
Barcelona
Today was one of those “reality check” days when all apparently goes right with the world and then something happens to remind you of your human frailty and that it's fate, luck, the energy of the universe, or a combination of all three that truly keeps one safe and sound. The day started with a lovely tour of El Poble Espanyol (The Spanish Village.) Originally built for the 1929 International Exhibition, it is a wonderful way to learn about the regions of Spain and their particular architecture. Basically a small town with houses built in the style of a locality and historical period, no one lives in The Spanish Village; instead, the buildings are each artisan shops where one may purchase handicrafts and pieces of art all locally made. It's quite a charming place and very interesting for all ages.

(We had a terrific guide named Albert Planas and I'm including his web site where you can find a link to his travel blog....lots of great ideas and information.)


I got off the bus while we were still on the Montjuic Mountain as I wanted to walk down and enjoy the panoramic views and the scenery; lots of trees in full bloom and the sun was shining. I walked down to La Rambla and did lots of people-watching. Barcelona is an international destination and one hears languages from all over the world. I bought three scarves (If I'm wearing jeans, a white t-shirt, and a vibrant scarf, then I'm very happy.) and found a tapas bar for lunch. A Greek salad, mini Spanish potato omelet, and one beer later, I was feeling great and thinking how much fun I was having just walking along in this terrifically busy city where the traffic is on par with Rome and never seems to let up. It was at that moment that I heard a horrific crash and looked to my left to see a motorcyclist down in the round-about. It was a head-on collision and the cyclist was in bad shape. I felt compelled to stay for the almost hour it took to extricate the man and get him into an ambulance. (Actually, there were two ambulances, two fire trucks, and several police cars.) It was one of those times in my life when I just needed to pray for someone and send forth the energy that I was there rooting for him. It was a sobering afternoon and even now I picture the crash and think about the motorcyclist and remind myself to be grateful for each day.

It was a long walk back to the hotel (several hours because I kept going in the wrong direction), but the evening helped to restore some balance as I had dinner once again with JoAnn and Ralph, a terrific couple I have just gotten to know. Bull fighting is outlawed in Barcelona and the arena has been converted into a very modern, posh shopping mall with lots of restaurants on the top floor and a great view of the city. It's in walking distance from our hotel which made it convenient to get to. So another fine meal, a bottle of wine...and then, of course, we had to get in some shopping...

www.angrup.com  Mussol Arenas
















No comments:

Post a Comment