Sunday, July 5, 2015

La Sicilia - An Island Of Treasures...

il 15 aprile, 2015
Palermo, Sicily

Having wanted to explore Sicily for quite a while, when the opportunity to visit it in the 
company of a small group presented itself, I was quick to sign up. What I did not know at the time was that my guide, Davide, would prove himself to be exceptional with a passion that inspired us all and that I would be spending two weeks with a marvelous group of 15 others who, like me, love the joys of exploration and discovery worldwide. La Sicilia, an island off the southwest tip of Italia, has a long, diverse, and colorful 3,000 year history of Greek, Roman, Arab, and Norman domination; the ruins, architecture, and culinary treasures found throughout give testimony to cultures that each left their mark on what is Sicily today.

Palermo, the capital and largest city on the island, is a bustling place. Arriving one day before most of group gave me an opportunity to discover a bit of the town on my own which is something I love doing when not traveling by myself. Walking up the the main street of Via Vittorio Emanuele on my first full day was a clear indication that I was in Italia as roads were blocked and traffic was halted due to a °workers' strike°. Although there were hundreds filling the streets with the presence of the police force clearly felt, all was orderly and I sensed a real comraderie among those on strike. Sicily, like the rest of Italy, has a high unemployment rate and, for so many, finding a job and earning a decent wage can be a Herculean task.

The Quattro Canti is a main intersection of Via Vittorio Emanuele and each of its four corners is a glorious sculptural tribute to the four seasons and the past control of foreign rulers. This spot appeared to be a meeting point of the strikers, but, after a bit of skirting around them, I was able to continue my walk, the sounds of chanting and police cars surrounding me. I paid a quick visit to La Cattedrale and then made my way up the road to Il Palazzo Reale, the former home of rulers of the Kingdom of Sicily. The oldest royal residence in Europe, it is now the home of the Sicilian Regional Assembly and is an impressive spot. The mosaics in its Cappella Palatina are extraordinary...an entire ceiling and walls covered with gold and vibrant color.

And then...after many hours of walking and exploring, by the time I arrived back near the hotel, it was clearly time for a pizza and an ice cold beer at a spot across the street from the sea. Yes...how grand to be back in Italia!



























No comments:

Post a Comment