Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Assisi...My Aussie Friends...L'Accademia Lingua Italiana

Il 8 novembre
Assisi

It's a beautiful spring-like day in Assisi, a far cry from yesterday's gray clouds and drizzle. It's amazing what a difference the weather can make in the way one feels. Although I enjoy the “gloomy” sky because it makes being in my apartment here that much cozier and it's great for reading writing, studying, and watching Italian TV, I feel much more energetic and “smiley” inside when the sun is shining. Assisi is a beautiful city, whatever the weather, but there is a clear change in the air here and in the actual feel of the place when the sun shines.

Saying “good-bye” to Margie and Joan at the Roma Termini on Saturday morning (Patricia was on an earlier train) left me feeling a bit lonely. While they were on their way to France and I was coming back here to a place I have come to love, it was a bitter-sweet parting for me. Spending four weeks in class with them and then another six days in Roma made for very special memories. We learned together, laughed together, ate and drank together, and looked after one another. Their friendship, kindness, love of travel and adventure, and Margie's sense of humor (she called me “la principessa”) aren't qualities found in everyone you meet and I am enriched for having shared a bit of my life with them.

I went to school yesterday to find out that there are no other students at the advanced level so there is no class for me to attend. Although I do much better in a structured learning environment when I have responsibilities and homework, having some time off is a lovely thought. Tomorrow, my friend, Janine, who lives in France, will be coming for a visit. We'll have five days together and, as she has never been to Assisi, it will be a joy to take her to my favorite spots. I have done the laundry, cleaned the apartment, and gone grocery shopping so all is in readiness for her arrival! She is also very computer savvy so if we have time, we'll go to my school, make use of the internet connection there, and get some more photos posted on my blog.

I'll have less that three weeks left in Italy after Janine leaves and I plan to use that time to study Italian “da sola” at l'Accademia. There is a beginning class going on now, too easy for me to audit, but there are empty classrooms for me to use and teachers around if I have a question. The school has been a wonderful place of learning, friendship, support, and encouragement. The three teachers I've had (Carla, Eleonora G., Eleonora) are all terrific and, not only were they my professoresse, but they have been friends as well. The school is small so you have an opportunity to meet students in the other classes and share the camaraderie and challenge of learning a new language. Angelo and Gaia Chichiu (father and daughter), both learned linguists, established the school in 1993 and are continually working to enrich the curriculum which they designed. There are three level workbooks with CD's plus additional supportive materials and my bookcases here and in San Diego are looking like an Italian language school. Lorenzo, with a warm and wonderful smile, runs the office and is always ready to help you should a problem arise. I know that I can always count on him to come to my rescue when I need him...which happened last year when my credit card number was compromised in the states shortly after I arrived here. If it wasn't for Lorenzo...well, lucky for me there is a Lorenzo!

No comments:

Post a Comment