Friday, September 30, 2011

Planting Trees and Meeting Again...

September 27
Jerusalem

It is a custom to plant trees in Israel. This project, started by the Jewish National Fund many years ago, has been responsible for the planting of thousands of trees covering the hillsides. Our group went to the Aminadav Forest where each of us picked out our saplings and, shovel in hand, put our trees in the ground. It was an emotional visit for me as I planted four trees-one to honor the memory of my father who died 21 years ago, and another for my mother who passed away almost two years ago. My tears of sorrow were replaced by smiles of joy as I planted a tree to honor Abraham, my dearest friend and the beloved companion of my mother during her last 13 years, and Dylan and Spencer, my great-niece and great-nephew; naturally, the smartest and most delightful children one could ever meet!!

A last walk through the Jewish Quarter and the ancient Roman marketplace concluded the tour and we returned to the hotel to pack and, for most of the group, to prepare for long flights home.

I mentioned in my first email that I met the mother of one of my first grade students from 1982 at the Ben Gurion Airport. So, Carol (amazing how she recognized me) picked me up at the hotel at 4:30 and we went to her apartment (Hubby, Gary was there as well.) where I was “reunited” with Matt and met his lovely wife, Luli, and their three beautiful children. So much talking and getting caught up and then it was out to dinner in a local restaurant and another Israeli food-fest. I also got to talk via Skype with Ari, another one of my former students who now lives in San Diego, and have also re-connected via Facebook with Yael,who was in that same class, and lives here with her family. What a way to end the tour...truly indescribable!

There are no coincidences in life...of that I feel sure...




No comments:

Post a Comment