Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Back in Israel after 28 years...

Tel Aviv September 15

I arrived in Tel Aviv after a 14 hour flight on El Al; the only airline I would choose to take to Israel. The food and service were lovely and security at LAX was extensive; I knew that I would be in good hands as soon as I checked in. My hotel in Tel Aviv overlooks the Mediterranean and I was on the beach and in the water approximately one-half hour after getting here. The sand was white and the water was clear and warm; a great way to relax after a long trip.

Met some of my “group” at dinner tonight; quite a number of well-traveled people with stories galore. Now, about dinner....as most of you know, I thoroughly enjoy eating and tonight's repast was complete with a buffet salad selection-grilled vegetables, an assortment of fresh vegetable salads, humus that melted in my mouth, smoked fish, lox, tabouli, etc. This was followed by fish, meat, chicken, rice, pasta, and yes, a sweet table. My gastronomic palate was well-satiated; however, I'm already thinking about tomorrow morning's buffet breakfast; something that Israeli hotels are famous for.

I already have a story to tell and the trip has barely begun. I was at Ben Gurion Airport waiting for my luggage when I heard a woman calling my name. She turned out to be the mother of one of my first grade students at Akiba Academy almost 30 years ago. Her son is living in Jerusalem, all grown-up with his own family that he brought with him to welcome his parents when they arrived...on my flight!

No comments:

Post a Comment