Monday, June 26, 2017

Windmills And WIndmills And Windmills...

Kinderdijk, The Netherlands
May 4

I’ve been intrigued by windmills ever since my first trip to The Netherlands in 1969; there’s just something about their power, their grace, and a certain mysterious allure that captured my interest all those years ago. So, what better opportunity to satisfy my curiosity, but a visit to Kinderdijk, a boat ride on the canal, and a quick peak inside a mill.

My day began with a short morning walk in Rotterdam, a city almost completely destroyed by bombing during World War II. Today, one of the largest ports in the world and a center of commerce and trade, Rotterdam, rebuilt with a very modern flair, has lots of open spaces and parks even though it’s a very busy place. Then there’s Market Hall (Blaak Markt) combining food, leisure, living, and parking all under one roof…an amazing, innovative architectural design well worth the visit. Indulged in the best macaroon I have ever eaten (purchased at one of the bakery stalls) and the story is that Madonna even has an apartment in the complex, although I haven’t verified that.









The Netherlands still has more than 1,000 windmills and the largest concentration of them is near the Dutch village of Kinderdijk where in 1740 nineteen mills were built along the drainage  channel that empties into the River Lek. Although there is now a large pumping station that has taken over their job, in case of emergency, the windmills, no longer operational, can still be used. As in the "olden days" people continue to live in them, although I will admit that the quarters are a bit cramped for me…perhaps I don’t have enough of an adventure-seeking spirit…or perhaps I just need more "creature comforts!"













No comments:

Post a Comment