Sunday, June 25, 2017

It's All About The Tulips...

Keukenhof Gardens
May 3

I love tulips. I really love tulips. So, when I made my reservation, it was after doing research on the “best” time to visit Keukenhof to surround myself with thousands of my favorite flowers. As the weather is so often unpredictable, there was no guarantee that the tulips would be there for me…but they were…and how grand…how splendid…how absolutely perfect.

Keukenhof, (which means “kitchen garden”), had its origins in the 15th century when fruits and vegetables were gathered  from the woods for use in the kitchen at the Teylingen Castle. In 1641 Keukenhof Castle was built and the  gardens grew in size, to be redesigned two hundred years later as an English landscape.

It was in 1949 that a group of flower bulb exporters got together and proposed using the estate as a permanent exhibition of “spring flowering bulbs.” The park was officially opened one year later and has been visited by millions of people from all over the world. 

One can only be joyful when walking on the grounds...the beauty is almost too much to take in. For me, it was sheer bliss…


















www.vantagetravel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment