Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Lovely People Of Salay...

Salay, Myanmar
il 6 novembre

Salay, founded in the 13th century, is home to Bagan-era shrines, 19th century teak monasteries adorned with intricate wooden carvings, and British colonial buildings, but what fascinated me the most about this river town of 30,000 were its people…lovely, friendly, gracious, and very ready to pose for pictures! This was a walking tour and, as such, gave me an opportunity to reach out and connect through photography.  (My camera and I were very happy.) Thank you to all those who made me feel welcome.


















This woman is awaiting the arrival of the monks so that she can give them rice. The giving of alms occurs every morning and is done in silence.







       I was given a political NLD flag by this woman prior to the election.



British colonial building


Teak Monastery








2 comments:

  1. Dear Andrea,
    I'm enjoying your posts about your SE Asia Trip. It is very high on my list of places to go. Did you go with Vantage? Would you recommend? Meanwhile, I still "Dream of Africa."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your description of the giving of alms. There is something profound about the fact that they are given in silence. I long for our (American) culture to grow into such grace and appreciation of the simple and deep.

    ReplyDelete