Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Arrival Of King Neptune...

Il 15 dicembre
ms Trollfjord

We crossed the Arctic Circle about 7:00 this morning; a ferocious, cold wind was blowing which made going out on deck an uninviting prospect so inside was where I stayed. I find myself frequently hungry and a bit lethargic on this trip and assume that it's the darkness and chill that inspire me to stay nestled in my cabin with a book and some snacks. Now, I'm not complaining about this as it's a wonderful excuse to do nothing and relax.

Crossing the Arctic Circle is a big deal and at 10:30 am King Neptune arrived in all his finery congratulating us and leaving certificates in our cabins. Being so far north on the planet was exciting and I could feel the exuberant energy among my travel buddies, especially those who took the Arctic Plunge and consented to having ice cubes poured down their backs. They were rewarded with a glass of warming Norwegian alcohol, but that wasn't enough to lure me, especially after watching many shrieking from the sudden chill running down their backs.








Later today there were stops in Bodo and Svolvaer with enough time for us to leave the ship and walk about these towns. The air was cold, snow was on the ground, and the slippery streets required a visit to the gift shop to buy cleats to attach to my knee-high, faux fur-lined boots. Between these and several layers of clothing, I certainly felt like an Arctic explorer...even if it was only for a little stroll.



















No comments:

Post a Comment