Friday, November 1, 2013

Sweet Treats in Assisi...

Il 20 settembre 2013
Assisi
La Pasticceria Sensi, an Assisi landmark since 1969, is my favorite spot for a sweet treat. The main bakery is located just a few minutes from where I live in Assisi and I pass it every time I walk to la Piazza del Comune...it takes discipline to walk by without stopping for a cappuccino and pastry for breakfast! Lucio and Bibi, sons of Stella and Orlando, who established the bakery, have become familiar faces and always greet me with a smile and that wonderful Italian charm! Using only the best ingredients for their delicacies, these two brothers begin creating very early in the morning and can usually be found with a bit of flour on their faces.

My favorite treat is “la rocciata di Assisi”...a type of apple strudel that hearkens back to medieval German baking. Layers of pastry, covered with raisins, walnuts, apples, pine nuts, and almonds...just a few bites with un caffe and I am a very happy person. The recipe is guarded inside the “magical laboratory” of la Pasticceria Sensi (also known as il bar Sensi) so I would never even attempt to create my own version...and that would be a silly thing to do as buying the “perfect piece” is just a short walk away!






No comments:

Post a Comment