Saturday, November 30, 2013

Neko Harbor And A Landing On The Peninsula...

il 19 novembre, 2013
On board the MS Fram

The beauty, the desolation, the reality of the cold and the wet...this morning's cruise on Paradise Bay was extraordinary...a picture that I hold deep within me...an Antarctic experience that I thought was my last. And then, after lunch, came the announcement that the clearing skies had made it possible for the captain to enter Neko Harbor, the entryway to the Antarctic Peninsula, later this afternoon.
 
Visiting Antarctica has been on my “Bucket List” for quite some time and there I was hiking in the snow, “visiting” with gentoo penguins, taking pictures, making snow angels...and yes, it was on the peninsula...my feet in their high rubber waterproof boots walking on this cold and icy continent. I felt compelled to kiss the snow and utter a prayer of thanks...and then I just inhaled as much as I could, letting the emotion of the moment fill my heart. It was with regret that I left, but the image, the joy, the splendor will be with me always and remind me of just how lucky I am.
                                                  





Yes...I'm in Antarctica!

One last photo - Thanks to all who share the memory with me...
 
 

2 comments:

  1. OMG.. For this Thanksgiving season, you have no idea how I have thanked you for these blog posts! I am smiling the biggest smile right now from reading about your adventures. Oh my. I would have given anything to have been there with you....what an awesome experience you have had!!! You know I would have made friends with those penguins....and you look adorable in your cold weather gear. Lookin' good is always at the top of our list, eh??!!!
    We must talk. Soon. When all these kids leave to go home, we HAVE to talk!!!
    Plz always remember to keep that memory of the arctic air in your lungs alive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    this has been a wonderful post!! could not imagine how you must have felt, just overwhelming.
    SALUDOS!!

    ReplyDelete