Sunday, January 13, 2013

To Be In Sydney...

Il 15-19 dicembre, 2012
Sydney, Australia

Sydney has a pulse all its own; I felt it that first evening when taking an exploratory walk about town and being mesmerized by the architecture of its modern office buildings. The first settlers, who arrived in 1788, were convicts sent by the English king when he could no longer send his country's prisoners to the “colonies” after the American Revolution. The beginning years were difficult and plagued with setbacks, but with the introduction of sheep in the latter 1700's and coal production beginning in 1801, the exploration, settlement, and development of New South Wales was well underway. Today, Sydney, the oldest and largest city in Australia, is thought of as one of the “best-situated” cities in the world; the harbor, the beaches, and the outlying mountains are all a feast for the eyes.

My first morning in this cosmopolitan capital of New South Wales began with a short bus tour through many of its beautiful neighborhoods, followed by a guided visit of the Sydney Opera House. An absolute architectural marvel, it's one of those landmark buildings that must be seen to be truly understood and, even then, without my having the skilled eye and training of an architect, it's still a bit of a mystery to me; the radical and very original nature of its construction is, unquestionably, a masterpiece. And if that visit wasn't enough of a treat, the afternoon was spent with my Aussie friends who flew south from Brisbane to spend time with me; a ferry ride and drinks at Manly Beach, a walk through the Botanical Gardens, and dinner at an Italian restaurant celebrated our meeting in Assisi over a year ago.

The next day was a trip to the Featherdale Wildlife Park housing the largest collection of Australian native animals in the country. Yes, I cuddled a koala, saw the wallabies and kangaroos, and even posed with a snake around my neck...okay, so this last experience was not all that pleasurable, but it was one of those “need to get out of my comfort zone” moments! (And it wasn't really so bad!) A motor trip through the Blue Mountains followed and then a cable car ride to see the Three Sisters rock formation, a focal point in Aboriginal mythology.

No visit to Australia is complete without a trip to a jewelry store to look at, learn about, and, perhaps, buy an opal “bling”. My purchase would certainly not be in the “major bling”or even “minor bling” category, but I did mange to buy a couple of small items for my Australian souvenir. After shopping, we went for a harbor cruise and how glorious that was... the water, the sunshine, the homes, (one more spectacular than the other), and easy conversation made for a successful morning. An afternoon walk through Hyde Park and dinner at a seafood restaurant across from the Opera House and the famous Sydney Harbor Bridge completed the day and my stay in Australia.

There are lots of delightful memories from my visit to this smallest of continents, but very large and welcoming country. Never to be forgotten is the kangaroo burger and chips dinner eaten that first evening in Sydney when I went out with friends, Duane and Barbara. The “foodie” that I am, that meal ranks highly on my list of “good eats” when in Australia...I can still taste it!

                                       
                                                   








2 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! Yes!! you shopped! and where oh where are my food pics???? I know you got a shot of that burger for me, eh?
    About time that you wrote and now I'm expecting a post everyday to fulfill my Aussie dreams. tell us more, plz!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't have my camera with me when I ate the burger...alas...But stay tuned for my blog entry on Logan Brown's Restaurant in Wellington, New Zealand.

      Delete