Saturday, January 26, 2013

Finishing Up In Fiji...

Il 28 dicembre, 2012 – il 1 gennaio, 2013
Fiji

I love tropical places and it was with much excitement that I looked forward to ending my holiday with four days in Fiji. As we flew over the country, I was at first delighted by the lush green verdant mountains, but then struck by patch after patch of what appeared to be dead trees. Such was my initial glimpse of the devastation caused by the December cyclone that ravaged the nation. It's hard to describe the destruction-dead trees reminiscent of winter when there are no leaves and all one sees is brown, palm trees that looked as if they had been beheaded, endless patches of dried grass, homes with their roofs blown off or falling over on their sides. Seeing Fiji like this this was a reality check...paradise is not a forever thing...

The positive spirit of the Fijians is contagious...nowhere have I ever met people more warm, friendly, and gracious. Even though I did not get to experience the white coral beaches and azure lagoons in their finest splendor, my stay was memorable...from the South Sea Orchid Garden and a performance by a local choral group, a visit to a neighborhood fruit and vegetable market, shopping for coconut oil and a pareo, New Year's Eve with its two mojitos and hours of dancing, not to mention an evening swim with my friend, Lea, to a New Year's Day sail with glorious snorkeling, a tasty barbecue lunch, and an outdoor massage looking at the water...it was a precious and wonderful four days.










1 comment:

  1. Ok. Now I'm a leetle bit green with envy. I didn't realize you were doing NZ and Fiji.....................I SO WOULD HAVE DONE THIS TRIP WITH YOU!!!! We must not have communicated well enough about this one......
    Just now getting to catch up on your blog..........sigh........I feel like I've been around the world when I read your words! Miss you.....

    ReplyDelete