Sunday, October 28, 2012

Gubbio...And Looking for Don Matteo...

Il 28 ottobre
Assisi
 
Another day of on and off rain and it's a good time to get caught up on some writing. A couple of years ago when I first came to Assisi, I met Don Matteo; rather, I should say I found the TV program one night while channel surfing and immediately I fell in love with this wonderful character. From that moment on, I never missed a segment in all of my trips here; unfortunately, the program finished last May and Terence Hill (you might remember him from his westerns) is now playing another character on a completely different program and Don Matteo has become a memory from my past.
 
The program took place in the hillside Umbrian town of Gubbio. Don Matteo was the local and beloved parish priest who, each week, helped the police solve crimes (usually murders), much to the frequent chagrin of Maresciallo (the police captain) who never really wanted to admit that he could use the help. Assisted by another police chief, who fell in love with and ultimately married Maresciallo's daughter (and there were plenty of twists and turns in that relationship saga), Maresciallo was able to “appear in charge” and the “bad guys” were always caught. Don Matteo was one of those “feel good” programs, and, even though it always started off with a crime, the heartful and generous priest always put everything in its proper perspective.

So, I have wanted to visit Gubbio for the past two years, but because the train/bus connection is very inconvenient, the trip never happened...until now. When I rented my current apartment last May, Clara and Giovanni, the owners of this lovely home, and I got to talking about the program and my “crush” on the parish priest and they promised to take me to Gubbio when I returned here this fall. After a wonderful lunch with the family a few weeks ago, the three of us set out for my long awaited adventure.

Gubbio is well-known for its Corsa dei Ceri, a run that happens every May 15th when three teams, in honor of St. Ubaldo (patron saint of Gubbio), each carry a stature of the saint weighing 280 kilograms, and, starting out from the Palazzo dei Consoli, they run up a mountain to arrive at the basilica of St. Urbaldo...always lots of people, lots of excitement, and lots of energy. For me, though, my trip to Gubbio was all about checking out the piazza and the familiar streets that I remembered so well from my hours of TV viewing. I even looked for Don Matteo...just in case he heard that I was coming to town.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment