Saturday, October 27, 2012

When It Rains Here...It Really Rains...

Il 27 ottobre
Assisi
 
Living in San Diego where we never have enough rain, I always welcome the gray skies and downpours...provided that I am wearing “il mio cappotto italiano” (typical quilted coat worn here) and carrying “un ombrello.” That being said, the entire country is often “hit” with major rainstorms that result in a lot of damage.
 
The weather forecast prepared us for lower temperatures and heavy precipitation so I decided to “hunker down” in the house, read, watch TV, and, of course, drink some wine and continue to eat well since I only have one week left before getting on a plane for home. Watching the news as I write this, I'm seeing pictures of flooded streets and sandbagged doors in much of Italy and I wonder why this country is not better prepared as this is typical weather for the late autumn and winter months.
 
Looking at the rain from my terrace earlier today, I was once again reminded that Assisi is a medieval city; the houses are made of stone, and even when updated, they get cold and heating (il riscaldamento) is costly. For me, inside the house and warm in my sweats, it's all a bit romantic and poetic...a rainy day in an old walled city.
 
However...this is not the best day to be a tourist here; it's chilly and very wet; the shops that sell umbrellas are, undoubtedly, doing well.
 

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment