Monday, October 10, 2011

La Pioggia...

Il 7 ottobre
Assisi

The rain arrived today with a vengeance. Although it was a short-lived storm, I managed to get caught while the hail was coming down. Pants and shoes soaked, (my little travel umbrella didn't cover much), I waited a while in a caffe/bar until the rain wasn't quite so heavy and I could get home safely. Having already experienced autumn and early winter in Italy, I know how cold and wet it gets here, with very heavy piercing wind. So, my coat and gloves are now ready and, perhaps, I will buy a larger umbrella.

Margie and Joan, two of my classmates and delightful Australians, are coming for dinner tonight and I'm looking forward to welcoming them in my home. We'll start with a bottle of Prosecco and dinner will be an original pasta creation...farfalle with lots of olive oil, sauteed garlic and cece (chickpeas), topped with slices of grilled chicken breasts. I tried out the recipe last night and was pleased with it; anything with lots of olive oil and garlic is a sure winner.

Tomorrow is Yom Kippur, a day of prayer and reflection. There are no synagogues in Assisi, or anywhere nearby, so I will spend the day at home, quietly.

No comments:

Post a Comment