Friday, October 28, 2011

In the Presence of the Pope...

Il 27 ottobre
Assisi

In October, 1986, at the invitation of Pope John Paul II, representatives of religious communities came to Assisi from all over the world for a day of prayer and the sharing of ideas about how to achieve world peace. The Pope said that “peace needs to be built on justice, truth, freedom, and love” and, in furthering the tradition set 25 years ago, Pope Benedict XVI invited religious leaders (believers and non-believers) from near and far to come to Assisi for a day of dialogue and prayer.

Margie, Joan, and I had the good fortune, with the help of the director of our school, to obtain passes to attend the forum held at la Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli, a large and very beautiful church in, what I think of as modern-day Assisi, Santa Maria degli Angeli, a 45 minute walk from the old city. We arrived at the church, surrounded by growing crowds of people, TV reporters, and a countless number of police and plain-clothes security. {I was, actually, interviewed by a journalist (in Italian), but don't know if my 30 seconds ever made the evening news!}

How to describe what it was like to be in this sanctuary, surrounded by the world's religious leaders; I don't think words can give justice to my emotions. When the Pope entered the building, he was greeted with applause by all in attendance. After he took his seat, each of the delegation leaders spoke about harmony, justice, truth, and love, and how to achieve peace in our world of terrorism and uncertainty. The Pope was the last person to speak and his message was clear...Basta...There's been enough killing...no more.

Later in the afternoon, the Pope and members of the various delegations arrived at the Lower Basilica di San Francesco for a celebration of peace. There were a number of musical performances and hundreds of people gathered around to take it all in. I watched all of this on a giant screen set up in front of the Upper Basilica and, when the celebration was over, was able to get a glimpse, looking over the wall, of the Pope as he got into his van and waved good-bye.

Now, I am not Catholic and, to be perfectly honest, am not up-to-date on all the ideas and teachings of Pope Benedict XVI. (I'm guessing there are many that I wouldn't agree with.) That being said, to be in the presence of a man so esteemed and beloved by millions, a man whose humility was clearly evident, a man whose sanctity and love of G-d have been the cornerstone of his life, was one of those moments in my life that will stay with me for quite some time.

I will carry yesterday's message with me...peace can be achieved through mutual respect, justice, harmony... and laying down the sword.






No comments:

Post a Comment