Monday, January 15, 2018

Waterfalls, Volcanoes, Fjords, Glaciers ...The Beauty Of Iceland

October 2-12
Iceland

An island bordered by the Atlantic Ocean and covering 39,769 square miles, Iceland is one of those spots that used to be overlooked with the exception of the  Reykjavik Airport being a stop-over for travelers, but it has definitely come of age and was just the perfect place for another adventure. Rolling meadows, magical waterfalls, crystal-clear springs, mighty fiords, volcanic ruins and a gracious and warm people…it’s truly an island of plenty.

I arrived in Reykjavik a day ahead of the others so that I could settle in and explore a bit on my own.  Although my luggage got lost and didn’t arrive until the evening, after a shower and a short rest, it was time to meet the city. Lunch, of course, had to come first and I was delighted to find a small restaurant near the hotel very much like the organic spots I enjoy in San Diego. (The food in this country is wonderful!)

Reykjavik, which means “Smokey Bay” is the world’s most northern capital and is at the center of the country’s government, economy, and culture. This very walkable city, where most of the population live, offered me a welcoming introduction to the many unusual sites that I would see and experience during my stay.

A walk along the waterfront

Sun Voyager, a steel sculpture designed by Jon Gunnar Arnason and symbolizing a Viking ship.



Hallgrimur's Chuch, the tallest and largest church in Iceland, taking 50 years to build with construction beginning in 1945. A sculptue of Leif Eriksson stands in front.


Welcoming guests to Harpa, Rekjavik's concert hall and cultural center

The Black Cone 



The Northern Lights







No comments:

Post a Comment