Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Land Of The Rising Sun...

Tokyo
March 31 - April 7, 2017

When I was a senior at Syosset High School, I took Mr. Doyle’s class in Asian History and, ever since then, I knew that a visit to Japan would be in my future. Doyle-san was a gentle man with the demeanor of a Zen Buddhist and I do believe that at some point in time, his soul experienced this country’s past; thoughts of him, one of my favorite teachers, came to mind quite often during this trip. 

Completely surrounded by the Pacific Ocean, Japan is composed of four main islands with several thousand smaller ones making up an archipelago of 1,900 miles. Honshu, the largest island and home to Tokyo, the capital city, provided my seventeen day introduction to this fascinating country. Known as the Land Of The Rising Sun, it is because of its physical relationship with China that Japan was so named; the Chinese, with an advanced civilization that developed over a prior almost 2,000 year period, had a tremendous influence on the culture, philosophy, religion, political structure, and written language of its neighbor to the east from where it appeared the sun was coming…and so the “nickname.” 

Japan is, indeed, a land of contrasts… bustling cities and rural villages, looming skyscrapers and thatch-roofed farmhouses, modern fashions and traditional kimonos, historical monuments and modern office buildings, Shinto shrines and Christian churches, sushi, ramen noodles and Starbuck’s (yes, there are many of these in Japan)…perceptions of this country continually changed for me as the days went by…Tokyo is a perfect example of all of this.

So, here’s a bit of the capital city in a snapshot…and, truly, it is only a snapshot.

                                                    My First Purchase

Local Eatery 

Cherry Blossom Viewing Party



One Of Many Side Streets

Ahh...The Train Station




A Bit Of History
Moat Surrounding the Imperial Palace

Entrance Gate Of The Imperial Palace
(Only the Emperor and his guests are permitted entrance)

Building On The property

Beautiful Gardens Surround The Palace

Gear Of A Samurai Warrior

Tokyo Today





Tokyo Tower


A Quiet Moment

Kabukicho
(A center for amusement since the Edo period of the 1600's)
The Biggest Drinking Spot In Japan 








2 comments:

  1. I graduated in 1975 from SHS. I remember Mr. Doyle in the same way you did. I loved his class and admired him as the kind, gentle and spiritual person that he was. My life took me to many countries. I married a Fillapina and later a Thai woman. I finally ended up, retired, living in northern Thailand, in harmony with the mountains and Lanna people. Thank you Mr. Doyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely email.

    ReplyDelete