Sunday, March 12, 2017

Assisi - Once Again...

ottobre, 2016


After an absence of well over a year, I returned to a place deep in my heart. Assisi had helped me to heal after the death of my beloved mother and then, three years later, my “Poppa”, a man who had become like a father to me so many years after my own’s dad’s passing. Assisi is where I learned Italian, where I ate pizza, pasta, and gelato to my heart’s content, and where I discovered the “Aperol Spritz”, my drink of choice for the perfect aperitivo. Assisi is where I met new friends  and developed a relationship with Mario Brunacci, a man well in his 90’s now, who shared his life’s stories, delighting me with his tales. It was with Mario’s help that I began my research into Assisi’s hiding of Jews during the war, a project that filled me with much gratitude and and only deepened my love for this medieval city.  Assisi is where I celebrated holidays and festivals, where I walked countless steps up and down meandering, winding streets. And despite my many stays in this magical place that has weathered much in its long history, each visit fills me with delight…that of being in a familiar place, that, although not my home, is welcoming and safe as if it was…










No comments:

Post a Comment